The perfect recipe to satisfy a pizza craving without resorting to delivery. Feel free to use whatever vegetables you like on pizza. You can also add in some sausage or pepperoni if you’re a meat eater.
1 1/2 cups medium barley (quick cook will also work, but the cook time will be different)
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon italian seasoning
Salt and pepper, to taste
1 yellow onion, chopped
2 medium zucchini, chopped
2 green bell peppers, chopped
8 oz package baby bella mushrooms, chopped
1 large head broccoli, chopped
15 oz can no sugar added marinara sauce (or you can use plain tomato sauce and add 2 teaspoons italian seasoning)
15 oz can white beans (cannelini or great northern), rinsed and drained
1/2 cup parmesan cheese (grated or shredded will work)
Olives, fresh basil, red pepper flakes, or any other desired toppings
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium sized pot, cook barley according to package instructions.*
3. Spray 2 baking sheets with cooking spray. Toss the chopped vegetables with olive oil, italian seasoning, and salt and pepper to taste.
4. Roast vegetables in the oven for 30 minutes, tossing halfway.
5. When barley is finished cooking, mix in the pizza sauce.
6. Stir in the beans and the roasted vegetables.
7. Add the parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
8. Top with red pepper flakes, additional cheese, olives, or whatever else you typically put on your pizza!
You can use whatever vegetables you like for this recipe. I think it would be great with eggplant added! If you’re a meat eater, you could add sausage or pepperoni or whatever else you like on your pizza!
*Quick barley takes significantly less time to cook than medium or pearled barley, so the cook time of the recipe will be different depending on which type of barely you use.