1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, chopped
3 carrots, diced
Scant tablespoon chopped garlic
3 cups potatoes, chopped into bite-sized pieces(any potato you like will work, I used a mix of creamer potatoes)
12 oz bag frozen cut green beans (could also use fresh or canned)
28 oz can crushed tomatoes
2 tablespoons prepared pesto (store-bought or homemade works)
1.5 cups brown rice
15 oz can dark kidney beans
4 cups vegetable broth
4 cups water
1 teaspoon italian seasoning
1 teaspoons salt (plus more to taste)
1 teaspoon pepper (plus more to taste)
1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat.
2. When oil is hot, add onions, carrots, and garlic and saute until onions are soft, about 5 minutes.
3. Add potatoes and continue to saute for 5 more minutes.
4. Next, add green beans, crushed tomatoes, pesto, rice, and kidney beans. Stir to combine.
5. Add vegetable broth, water, italian seasoning, salt, and pepper, and stir. Raise heat to bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 35 minutes, or until rice is cooked. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
6. Ladle into bowls and serve with parmesan cheese on top, if desired. This also goes great with a piece of toasty bread.